- What is the best way to exchange my US Dollars for Euros?
- Can I use my cell phone in Italy?
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- Is your site secure?
- Will I need electrical converters and adaptors?
- What is the VAT Tax?
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Private drivers: 10 euros for an airport transfer. 30 – 50 euros for a full day excursion depending on the length of the service.
- Private guide: 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- Restaurants: Tipping varies throughout different parts of Italy. In smaller towns or villages, tips may generally be smaller or in some cases non-existent. For eating establishments in larger cities, tipping is more customary, but again not always expected as service staff are generally paid higher wages than in America. If there is no service charge included in your bill, a standard gratuity of 5% is sufficient
- Coffee Shops: A small tip is a nice gesture and will surely gain you favor with your bartender. A standard tip would be about 1-2 euros for a round of drinks.
- Hotels: In most hotels, service charges are already included in your bill but for bell staff, a standard tip of 2 euros per bag carried to your room is sufficient. For chambermaids, a standard tip 2-3 euros per day for a deluxe hotel. For room service staff, 2-3 euros is customary.
- Taxi drivers: 1-2 euros, depending on length of journey.
- Gondoliers in Venice: Gondola rides in Venice are indeed pricey. A tip, above and beyond the cost of your ride, is entirely at your discretion, depending on the quality of the journey. The knowledge the gondolier exhibits and if he educates you on certain points of interest and/or provides entertainment (singing) during your ride should factor into your decision making. An additional 5-10 euros is more than sufficient.
Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra" depending on the level of service you receive.
Here are some tipping guidelines for various services:
- What if there is bad weather?