Built in ancient times by people seeking refuge from barbarian invaders, and lying between the mountains and the sea, the villages of the Cinque Terre have for centuries been isolated from the rest of Italy. This aura of isolation, and the area's dramatic coastal scenery, have made the Cinque Terre ever more attractive to visitors to Italy and an ideal alternative for cruise ship passengers seeking an unusual shore experience. This 10-hour excursion includes a boat ride along the coastline and spectacular views from the shore.
Your tour begins with the beautiful drive from your cruise ship to the first city of the Cinque Terre: Monterosso. From here, weather and terrain permitting, it is possible to walk the easy "Via dell' Amore," or Lovers' Path, to Riomaggiore, the second village of the Cinque Terre. At the extremely photogenic Manarola, you can explore the town's narrow alleys and pretty pastel squares, try some of the local wines, and perhaps enjoy lunch at a restaurant overlooking the sea. From there you'll share a boat to Vernazza, which offers splendid vistas, and where you'll have free time for lunch, if you have not already eaten, before the drive up to Corniglia to admire the coastline from a completely different perspective. In this medieval hamlet resting atop a hill above the Ligurian Sea, you will enjoy some of the finest views of the Cinque Terre and taste the area's celebrated wines, some of which have been produced here since Roman times.
Note: Due to weather and public boat schedules, the order of sites may differ on the day of your tour. Public boats do not operate in bad weather, rough seas, and winter months; when boats are not operating, transfers between cities will be by minivan or coastal train. Footpaths in the area may be closed or inaccessible due to inclement weather or mudslides; transfers in that case will be by minivan.
Highlights and What’s Included
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Tour of the five villages of the Cinque Terre: Monterosso, Riomaggiore, Vernazza, Manarola, and Corniglia
- Easy optional walk along the famous coastal footpath between Riomaggiore and Manarola, conditions permitting
- Boat ride from Manarola to Vernazza
- Wine tasting in Corniglia before departure
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Public boats operate subject to sea and weather conditions and do not operate in the autumn and winter. When boats do not operate, transfer between towns will be by train or minivan.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not always available.
This Cinque Terre shore excursion departs from the port of Livorno and returns to your cruise ship.
Duration of Tour
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the journey time between the port of Livorno and the Cinque Terre is approximately 1 hour each way.