The tumult of Rome has been something Romans love to leave behind for almost as long as there has been a Rome. This day long guided trip to Tivoli, a historic town lying east of Rome, will introduce you to the Roman countryside. This area that has been favored since the 2nd century as a summer retreat for wealthy Romans. Tivoli is located in the breathtaking Monte Tiburtini hills. It enjoys a fresher climate than its busy city neighbor and is filled with remarkable art and architecture as well as a boasting from a long and rich history. The splendid Villa d’Este, a former Benedictine convent, is considered to be one of the greatest late Renaissance villas. Built as a lavish home for the son of Lucretia Borgia. This scandalous Italian duchess created much drama in fifteenth century Italy. Villa D'Este's grounds have stunning gardens, impressive waterfalls, centenary trees, and more than 500 fountains.
Lunch will be at the famous Ristorante La Sibilla, with its outdoor terrace overlooking an ancient temple. Afterwards you will visit Hadrian’s Villa, which belonged to the 2nd century emperor Hadrian, generally considered one of the better emperors of Rome. The ruins of Hadrian’s estate comprises of more than 30 buildings including a sprawling imperial palace, thermal baths, libraries, temples, and underground passages. These passages are so wide that cars can fit through them. Your ride back to your cruise ship will take you through the beautiful Roman countryside while your local guide answers any questions you have along the way.
Highlights and What’s Included
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking local guide
- Tour of the stunning gardens of Villa d'Este
- Guided walking tour of the archaeological ruins of Hadrian's Villa, former home of 2nd century emperor Hadrian
- Lunch at selected trattoria in Tivoli (cost not included)
- When booking, please specify the name and port of call of your cruise ship
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
The Roman Countryside shore excursion from Civitavecchia (ROME) Port departs from and returns to your cruise ship.
Duration of Tour
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the journey time between the port of Civitavecchia and Rome is approximately 1.5 hours each way.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of the booking. Your credit card will not be charged until the confirmation is received.
- Where will I meet my guide?
- Your guide will be waiting for you in the designated meeting area as you exit your ship. They will be holding a sign with the name you provided at the booking.
- And if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine! In the case of rough waters, an alternative mode of transportation will be provided.
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes! There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Can wheelchair users go on an excursion tour?
- Not all excursions tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- How far in advance should I book my excursion tour?
- Booking must be made at least 48 hours prior to the excursion tour date.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- Payment is required upon booking but your credit card will not be charged until you receive an email confirmation from Your Own Italy.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the excursion tour departure time. The cost of museum tickets are always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. A full refund is given if the docking of the cruise is cancelled due to weather conditions.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Reservations can be amended by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Own Italy cannot guarantee that changes are possible once the booking has been confirmed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our Internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the security management company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I need to reserve for a larger group than the size you advertise on the website?
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the type of service you require or break down your reservation into more than one. (For example, if you want to book 16 people, make two reservations of eight.)