Is it possible to see much of Rome in a day? It is with Your Own Italy and our experienced tour professionals! Beginning at the beginning with the most important landmarks of the ancient Forum, your guide will explain the history of ancient Rome from its origins, through the Republic, to the glory days of the Empire. One of the highlights of the excursion is a visit to the magnificent Colosseum (with no lines for Your Own Italy guests!), where you will find out about the machinery that provided the special effects to accompany the ferocious games and will learn about the role of these games in the lives of Roman citizens. An examination of Constantine's Arch and the views of Rome from the tranquil Palatine Hill are followed by a visit to the Pantheon, an extraordinary ancient domed temple to all the gods that has remained largely intact for almost two millenia.
After a jump forward to the Baroque period for a look at the lovely Piazza Navona and a trip to the Spanish Steps, it's time for lunch at a pre-selected restaurant. You will spend the afternoon at St. Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Museums, and the Sistine Chapel. Last but not least, your driver will take you to one of Rome's famous seven hills for an aperitif and splendid views of the city before returning you to your cruise ship. Hopefully, this taste of Rome will whet your appetite for a longer visit another day!
Highlights and What’s Included
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Skip-the-line tickets for the Colosseum
- Skip-the-line tickets for the Vatican Museums
- Lunch at selected trattoria (not included)
- Colosseum, Ancient Roman Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Square and Basilica
- This is a private tour.
- When booking, please specify the name and port of call of your cruise ship
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches, as storage accomodations are not always available.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
The Rome in a Day shore excursion from the Civitavecchia Port departs from and returns to your cruise ship.
Duration of Tour
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the journey time between the port of Civitavecchia and Rome is approximately 1.5 hours each way.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of the booking. Your credit card will not be charged until the confirmation is received.
- Where will I meet my driver?
- Your driver will be holding a sign with YOUR OWN ITALY and the name you provide at the booking. Your confirmation voucher will define the meeting point.
- And if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes! There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Can wheelchair users go on an excursion tour?
- Not all excursions tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- What is the difference between a "driver-guide" and a "licensed guide"?
- Nearly all of Your Own Italy’s excursions tours are conducted by an English speaking driver AND a licensed tour guide. A few tours, such as our tour to the Cinque Terre, do not require a licensed guide and are conducted solely by the driver.
- How far in advance should I book my excursion tour?
- Booking must be made at least 72 hours prior to the excursion tour date.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- Payment is required upon booking but your credit card will not be charged until you receive an email confirmation from Your Own Italy.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the excursion tour departure time. The cost of museum tickets are always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. A full refund is given if the docking of the cruise is cancelled due to weather conditions.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Reservations can be amended by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Own Italy cannot guarantee that changes are possible once the booking has been confirmed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our Internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the security management company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I need to reserve for a larger group than the size you advertise on the website?
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the type of service you require or break down your reservation into more than one. (For example, if you want to book 16 people, make two reservations of eight.)