Your Own Italy’s shore excursion of ancient Rome is ideal for families and those looking for an in-depth and entertaining way to explore the life and times of the ancients. The tour begins at the Forum: the center of the capital of the western world. You will learn about the society, beliefs, and politics of the Romans, and how its rulers captured, controlled and ultimately lost an empire; an empire that wrapped around the Mediterranean and extended into Western Europe almost to the border of Scotland. You'll get a flavor of the gore and glory that was Rome with premium skip-the-line tickets to the Colosseum. After a short drive through the center of Rome, you will behold the remarkable Pantheon, an extraordinary temple to "all the gods" with a dome that Michelangelo studied for his design of St. Peter's and which remains intact 2,000 years after its construction.
You will lunch at the famed Ristorante Pagnanelli, overlooking Lake Albano (cost not included) and will return to Rome along the Appian Way. This was the famous artery that led into Rome when the empire was at its peak. The Appian Way is still paved with the stones that the ancients traveled on. It is lined with monuments and funerary elements and cuts through lush parks of flower-sprinkled meadows shaded by tall umbrella pines. You will feel yourself a part of the magnificent past in this quiet green corner that is forever Rome!
Highlights and What’s Included
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking local guide
- Private tour of the Pantheon, Colosseum, Ancient Forum, Appian Way
- Skip the line tickets for the Colosseum
- Lunch at the famed Pagnanelli Restaurant overlooking Lago Albano (cost of lunch not included)
- Walk along the ancient road known as the Appia Antica.
- This is a private tour
- When booking, please specify the name and port of call of your cruise ship
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not always available.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walkomg.
Walk with the Ancient Romans shore excursion from Civitavecchia Port departs from and returns to your cruise ship.
Duration of Tour
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the journey time between the port of Civitavecchia and Rome is approximately 1.5 hours each way.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of the booking. Your credit card will not be charged until the confirmation is received.
- Where will I meet my guide?
- Your guide will be waiting for you in the designated meeting area as you exit your ship. They will be holding a sign with the name you provided at the booking.
- And if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine! In the case of rough waters, an alternative mode of transportation will be provided.
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes! There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Can wheelchair users go on an excursion tour?
- Not all excursions tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- How far in advance should I book my excursion tour?
- Booking must be made at least 48 hours prior to the excursion tour date.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- Payment is required upon booking but your credit card will not be charged until you receive an email confirmation from Your Own Italy.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the excursion tour departure time. The cost of museum tickets are always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. A full refund is given if the docking of the cruise is cancelled due to weather conditions.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Reservations can be amended by sending an email to email@example.com. Your Own Italy cannot guarantee that changes are possible once the booking has been confirmed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our Internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the security management company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I need to reserve for a larger group than the size you advertise on the website?
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the type of service you require or break down your reservation into more than one. (For example, if you want to book 16 people, make two reservations of eight.)