Experience the glory of ancient Rome, the treasures of the Baroque, and everything in between! You will enjoy private tours of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, saunter in the footsteps of gladiators, visit hill towns of the Roman countryside, mingle with locals in Rome’s famous piazzas, and dine “as the Romans do” at restaurants that are guaranteed to tickle your taste buds. Everything is customized, with private car and local guides, from arrival to departure. This is your Roman holiday, from Your Own Italy.
- Private driver transfers to and from airport
- Accommodations: selected 4-star boutique hotel or apartment in the historic center of Rome - 6 nights
- English-speaking local tour guides throughout your vacation
- All skip-the line tickets
- Private Introductory Walking Tour of Rome
- Private Tour of the Works of the Masters of the Renaissance
- Private Tour of the Roman Forum and Coliseum
- Private Tour of The Vatican Museums, St. Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel
- Private Culinary Experience with Roman Chef or Private Food and Wine Walking Tour in Rome's Trastevere Neighborhood
- Day Excursion to the Roman hill town of Tivoli for private tour of Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este
Day 1: Welcome to Rome! Introductory Dolce Vita Tour
Your driver will await you at Rome’s Leonardo Da Vinci Airport and escort you to your hotel in the historic center of Rome. After relaxing you will be picked up by your guide who will accompany you on your “Dolce Vita” Tour. You’ll uncover the secrets locked in Bernini’s work, marvel at the Pantheon (ancient Rome's best preserved monument), toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the Eternal City, and simply enjoy Rome’s charming streets in a leisurely Italian fashion. By the end of the tour, you will realize that your guide has not only shown you around Rome, but has taught you how to get around Rome as if you were a native.
Day 2: Walk in the Footsteps of the Ancient Romans
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel and accompany you to the Coliseum, one of the ancient world's largest structures, where Romans once gathered to watch gladiator games, animal contests, and even reenactments of sea battles. A massive stone amphitheater that seated an estimated 60,000 spectators, it was built in only eight years. Your guide will tell you about its design and construction, political purposes, fighters (both willing and unwilling), and eventual demise as an arena. At the Imperial Roman Forum, you will hear about the myths and religions of ancient Rome as you wander through the ruins of meeting halls and temples, such as that of the Vestal Virgins, who maintained Vesta’s sacred fire and were considered to be almost goddesses. The most ancient Latin text ever found, the Lapis Niger (“black stone”), can also be found in the Forum, in the foundation of a column. Your tour will end on the Capitoline Hill, the smallest and most important of the seven hills of ancient Rome, which offers a wonderful view of the city and the Forum.
Day 3: Explore The Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for this signature Your Own Italy tour of The Vatican Museum and St. Peter’s Basilica. The art of The Vatican is among the most recognizable in the world. In leading you through the museums, your guide will convey the tantalizing background of these Renaissance masterpieces, the geniuses who created them, and the powers who commissioned them. In the Sistine Chapel, below the largest and most renowned fresco in the world, your tour guide will explain the intriguing history of this work and the hidden messages Michelangelo painted into it. After the museum, you’ll visit St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world, where you can see Michelangelo’s magnificent Pietà, Bernini’s acclaimed altar canopy, and the tombs of the Popes, including that of John Paul II.
Day 4: Tour of Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este in Tivoli
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel for an excursion to the Roman hill town Tivoli, where you will visit two splendid villas with your local guide: the ancient Roman villa of the Emperor Hadrian and the Renaissance Villa d’Este. Hadrian’s Villa, the largest of its kind in Roman times, testifies to the remarkable skills of Roman architects and builders, while the Villa d’Este, commissioned in 1550 by Cardinal Ippolito II d’Este, is famous for its masterpieces of Renaissance art and, in particular, for its many pools and fountains. Afterwards, you will enjoy lunch at the extraordinary La Sibilla restaurant.
Day 5: Culinary Adventure
Visit the Local Market followed by a Gourmet Cooking Class
Your personal chef will meet you at the famed "Volpetti" gourmet food store in Testaccio, a colorful Roman neighborhood with an historic market. You’ll begin with visits to a variety of local stores and marketplaces, such as an artisan butchery, fish shop, cheese store, bakery and produce market. You will then head to the kitchen where your chef will conduct a memorable cooking class which can be tailored to your individual tastes and will include Italian favorites.
Enjoy a Food and Wine Tour in the Trendy Trastevere Neighborhood
Your sommelier-guide will take you on a food and wine tour in trendy Trastevere. This quintessential Roman neighborhood across the Tiber River is a little bit Greenwich Village, a little bit Left Bank, but mainly regular Italian - a place where Roman pappas bring their families for Sunday dinners after church and young Romans lounge in the piazzas on evenings and weekends. Your Own Italy’s four-hour food and wine walking tour presents Trastevere at night. You’ll sample a sumptuous blend of Italian classics like pizza and pasta, real Roman street food, less-known meats and cheeses, and amazing wine in a secret cellar – its history will blow you away. Few activities in Rome deliver as many hidden surprises and enchanting moments as this, in one of our favorite neighborhoods.
Day 6: Tour the Works of the Masters of the Renaissance
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for a delightful tour exploring the paintings, sculptures, and architecture of Michelangelo, Borromini or Caravaggio or a combination of all three!
Day 7: Departure - Arrivederci !
Your driver will pick you up in plenty of time to make your flight. Rome salutes you with a warm and heartfelt “arrivederci”! See you again! Now that you’ve traveled with Your Own Italy, you have friends here in Rome.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered, shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags on tours that include churches as storage is not always available
- Please wear comfortable footwear as the tours on your vacation involve a lot of walking
- The team at Your Own Italy is absolutely flexible and will customize your vacation to suit your personal needs. Are you traveling with children? We will provide the necessary assistance to adjust our packages to ensure that your vacation is truly memorable!
- Contact Your Own Italy for customization options on your vacation
- Refer to our website for details on our Cancellation Policy
- When should we start planning our trip?
- Ideally, we ask for at least 3 months' advance notice, especially in the high season (May through September). Arrangements can be made on shorter notice, but you run the risk of missing out on the availability of our favorite hotels and guides. We want the best for our clients, and the more time we have, the more we can guarantee just that.
- What are Your Own Italy's payment terms?
- We require a 20% deposit upon approval of your vacation package. The balance is due 45 days prior to your date of travel.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Upon approval of your vacation package, an invoice with payment instructions will be sent by email. Payment method options include Paypal, any major credit card or a personal check.
- Should I purchase travel insurance?
- We strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance at the time of booking, in the event you must cancel and forfeit funds or in the unfortunate case of injury or loss. We offer travel insurance through out partner, Allianz.
- What kind of information will we receive before our trip?
- Approximately one month prior to your departure date, you will receive a Your Own Italy Travel Packet consisting of a detailed day-to-day itinerary, our list of recommended restaurants, a “Helpful Hints Guide” for Italy, and your specific destinations, plus detailed information and contacts for your accommodations, tours and transportation.
- Can you give me a cost breakdown of my customized vacation and what is included?
- The vacations we create are bundled packages and therefore we do not provide a cost breakdown. Our local suppliers give us bundled prices for the services provided and we do the same for our clients. We simply arrange for all your accommodations, transportation, local tour guides, restaurant reservations, and any other fun activities and experiences from the moment you arrive until the day of your departure. We also follow through your itinerary with you upon arrival to departure with 24/7 concierge service from Rome, Italy.
Please read our Vacation Package Cancellation Policy by clicking on the following link: Cancellation Policy here.