This 10-night trip through Sicily and the Amalfi Coast includes 3 nights in Sorrento, 3 nights in Syracuse and 3 nights in Taormina. See the famous city of Pompeii complete with lunch at a wine-producing villa on Mt. Vesuvius. Several full day excursions will allow you to see the Amalfi Coast, Capri and Anacapri and Catani and Mt. Etna, just to name a few. For the grand finale, you will get to experience Taormina from its best vantage point - the sea - in a day-long boat tour along the coastline.
Highlights and What’s Included
• Private Mercedes transfers to and from the airport.
• English-speaking tour guides throughout.
• 10 nights’ accommodation in your choice of hotels or apartments in historic center in Sorrento - 3 nights, Syracuse – 3 nights and Taormina – 3 nights.
• Tour of Pompeii with a private tour guide
• Lunch in wine producing villa on Mt. Vesuvius
• Full day excursion in private car to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello
• Full day excursion with guide in private boat to Capri & Anacapri
• Private walking tour of Syracuse
• Day Excursion to Ragusa and Modica
• Private walking tour of Taormina
• Day Excursion to Catani and Mt. Etna
• Boat tour of the Taormina Coastline
DAY 1: Arrival
Your Private driver will pick you up at Naples airport and accompany you to your hotel in Sorrento.
DAY 2: Explore ancient Pompeii and settle into Sorrento
Your private driver will pick you up at your hotel - destination Pompeii. The most well-preserved ancient town, with its intact streets, and many buildings up to the second story is a true experience of time travel. See how the ancients entered their city through one of the main gates, lived in courtyard centered airy homes with vivid frescoes depicting the leisurely life of the wealthy inhabitant. Live also the footsteps of the commoner eating on the go at one of the many “fast food” restaurants on his way to the baths followed by an imaginary discussion at the temple in the main Forum. Close your eyes while sitting in the 500-person theater imagining a performance about to begin, all in the shadow of the Vesuvius. After lunch and at a wine producing villa on Mt. Vesuvius, your driver will take you to back to your hotel.
DAY 3: Let the Coast Awaken Your Spirit
Your driver will pick you up for an experience of a lifetime. The winding roads that cling to the mountain side of the Amalfi Peninsula await the expertise of your Italian driver – and your excitement! First stop after a breathtaking view of the Sea from dizzying heights is the jewel of Positano. A tiny town that clings to the side of a mountain tumbling down to sea level. Enjoy a picturesque walk through some of the loveliest shops displaying the Positano style: white linen dresses, artisan sandals and jewelry, dotted by open air art exhibits in the beautiful courtyards just beyond the white washed walls that define the narrow winding road from top to bottom. Enter one of the bars with terraces overlooking the bluest sea and enjoy a “granite al limone” or Italian lemon ice, the best way to cool off. With the abundance of flowers, the white buildings and deep blue sea, you will feel part of the visual richness which is Italy. From Positano you will be taken to the top of Mount Cerreto to the town of Ravello where you will have lunch on the most spectacular, panoramic terrace you have ever seen followed by a stroll in the lovely gardens of Villa Ruffolo, the home of the world-famous summer music festival. As you wind down the mountain with your driver make sure to stop for breathtaking views and photos. Wrap up the day in main town of Amalfi where you will visit the 11th century Saint Andrew’s cathedral, the patron saint of the town.
DAY 4: Dive into the Waters off Capri
You will spend an unforgettable day on a private boat to Capri. Be prepared to dive in the pristine blue waters of the world-famous grottos that encircle the base of the famed island. The captain of your private boat will take you to nearly private coves where the colors of the water dance amongst the many hues of the deep blue that characterizes this enchanting island. No need to bring towels or drinks…your private guide is well prepared for impromptu toasts of prosecco as he purposefully has the boat linger under the lovers’ cove. Upon docking, dry off and meet your private taxi driver who will transport you in an open vehicle up the hairpin, narrow road to Anacapri. On the way, sneak a few peaks at the white washed villas masked by an abundance of colored flowers. A stroll at the top of the mountain to visit the famed Capri sandal makers as well as a breathtaking view from the enchanting villa San Michele perched on the furthest edge overlooking the bay. A sumptuous seafood lunch awaits you upon your return to the dock at a famed restaurant where the fresh catch of the day is all that is offered. Your captain awaits to take you back to Sorrento.
DAY 5: Transfer to Sicily. Arrival in Syracuse.
This morning, your driver will take you to Naples Airport for your flight to Catania on Sicily's eastern coast, where your private driver will be waiting to bring you to Syracuse, once one of the most important cities in the Greek Empire.
DAY 6: Private Tour of Syracuse
Your private guide will begin your tour with a visit to Syracuse’s Museo Archeologico Region ale Paolo Orsi. Much of modern Syracuse was destroyed during WWII, but its archeological treasures – one of the most important collections in Europe -- have been preserved. Next, you will visit the nearby Archeological park, which boasts the world’s largest Greek theater and a Roman amphitheater. After lunch, you will tour Syracuse in a golf cart permitting driving in the narrow streets of Ortygia - the historic center.
DAY 7: Day Excursion to Ragusa and Modica
This morning, you set off from your hotel for a full-day tour of the Baroque towns of Ragusa and Modica. Starting in Ragusa at the top of Ragusa Superiore, the upper town, your guide takes you down the 242 winding steps that lead to the lower town, Ragusa Ibla, enjoying the rooftop panoramas along the way. You then leave your guide and take a private car to have some free time to explore the cobbled streets of Modica, where you can sample some of the chocolate for which the city is known.
DAY 8: Transfer to Taormina. Private tour of the city center
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel in Syracuse and take you to Taormina. After checking into your hotel, your local guide will introduce you to this Sicilian gem. First artists, then expatriates, and then simply the very rich have washed across the city. Where else in the world can you take in the view of an Greco-Roman 3rd century amphi-theater, a smoking volcano, and the blue Mediterranean without even turning your head?
DAY 9: Day Excursion to Catania and Mt. Etna
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel and take you to Catania, Sicily’s second largest city, dominated by Mt. Etna. Much of the town was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, following a volcanic eruption and then an earthquake. Your visit will include a tour of the lively daily fish market, located behind the Duomo.
After lunch at a selected restaurant, your driver and guide will accompany you to Mt. Etna, the culmination of a visit to Sicily. Etna has been erupting for half a million years or more. Your visit to the volcano will include taking the cable car to the 2,500-meter mark where you will enjoy the spectacular views.
DAY 10: Boat tour of the Taormina Coastline
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel and accompany you to your private boat in Taormina’s port. You will see Taormina from the best vantage point, the sea, then relax as you tour along the Sicilian coastline with stops on the famed Isola Bella and the Bay of the Mermaids where you will be able to swim in the cool, clear waters. After a sumptuous lunch, you will visit the Blue Grotto with its famed colorful shades of blue and green.
DAY 11: Departure
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel with plenty of time to make your flight from Catania’s international Airport for departure. We salute you with a warm and heartfelt “arrivederci"! See you again! Now that you’ve traveled with us, know that you have friends here in Your Own Italy.
- When should we start planning our trip?
- Ideally, we ask for at least 3 months' advance notice, especially in the high season (May to September). Arrangements can be made on shorter notice, but you run the risk of missing out on the availability of our favorite hotels and guides. We want the best for our clients, and the more time we have, the more we can guarantee just that.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- For our customized vacations, we require a 20% deposit upon approval of the itinerary we have presented to you. The balance is due 30 days prior to your arrival date.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Upon submitting your reservation through our website, you will be provided with a voucher with a reservation number that will be used for payment by credit card on the online portal of Blue Pay, our credit card processor.
- Should I purchase travel insurance?
- We strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance at the time of booking, in the event you must cancel and forfeit funds or in the unfortunate case of injury or loss. We also recommend checking with your credit card company, which may offer travel coverage.
- What kind of information will we receive before our trip?
- Approximately one month prior to your departure date, you will receive a Your Own Italy travel packet consisting of a detailed day-to-day itinerary, our list of recommended restaurants, a “Helpful Hints Guide” for Italy, and your specific destinations, plus detailed information and contacts for your accommodations, tours, excursions, and transportation.
- Can you give me a cost breakdown of my customized vacation and what is included?
- The vacations we create are bundled packages and therefore we do not provide a cost breakdown. Our local suppliers often give us a bundled price for the services provided and so we do the same for our clients. We arrange for all your accommodations, transportation, local tour guides, restaurant reservations, and any other fun activities and experiences from the moment you arrive until the day of your departure.