Experience the glory of ancient Rome, the treasures of the Baroque, and everything in between! You will enjoy private after-hours tours of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, saunter in the footsteps of gladiators, visit hill towns of the Roman countryside, mingle with locals in Rome’s famous piazzas, and dine "as the Romans do" at restaurants that are guaranteed to tickle your taste buds. Everything is customized, with private car and guide, from arrival to departure. This is your Roman holiday, from Your Own Italy.
Highlights and What’s Included
- Private driver and English-speaking tour guide throughout
- 7 nights’ accommodation in your choice of hotel or apartment in historic center of Rome
- "Dolce Vita" Tour on the evening of arrival
- Tour of the Roman Forum and Colosseum
- Tour of Renaissance and Baroque Rome
- Private tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Culinary Experience Day with professional chef
- Day excursion to the Roman hill towns
- Your choice of day-long excursion or walking tour for "Design Your Italy" day
Welcome to Rome! Dolce Vita Tour
Your driver, waiting for you at Rome’s Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, will escort you by private car to your boutique hotel in Rome. After relaxing you will be picked up by your private tour guide who will accompany you on your “Dolce Vita" Tour. You'll uncover the secrets locked in Bernini's work, marvel at the Pantheon, the best preserved ancient Roman monument, toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the Eternal City and simply enjoy Rome's charming streets in a leisurely Italian fashion. By the end of the tour, you will realize that your guide has not only shown you around Rome, but has taught you how to get around Rome making you feel almost like a native.
Walk in the Footsteps of the Ancient Romans
At the Colosseum, one of the largest structures of the ancient world, Romans once gathered to watch gladiator games, animal contests, and even reenactments of sea battles. A massive stone amphitheater which seated an estimated 60,000 spectators, it was built in only eight years. Your guide will tell you about its design and construction, political purposes, fighters (both willing and unwilling), and eventual demise as an arena. At the Imperial Roman Forum, you will hear about the myths and religions of ancient Rome as you wander through the ruins of meeting halls and temples, such as that of the Vestal Virgins, who maintained Vesta's sacred fire and were considered to be almost goddesses. The most ancient Latin text ever found, the Lapis Niger ("black stone"), can also be found in the Forum, in a foundation of a column. Your tour will end on the Capitoline Hill, the smallest and most important of the seven hills of the Ancient Rome, and enjoy a wonderful view of the city and of the Imperial Forum.
Design Your Own Italy Day
Contact us for customizing options on this "Design Your Own Italy" day OR just relax and enjoy shopping!
Explore St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for this signature Your Own Italy tour of The Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica. The art of the Vatican is among the most recognizable in the world, with masterpieces by Michelangelo, Raphael, and Leonardo. In leading you through the museums, your guide will convey the tantalizing background of these Renaissance masterpieces, the geniuses who created them, and the powers who commissioned them. In the stunning Raphael Rooms you will see the famous "School of Athens" fresco that depicts influential thinkers of ancient Greece mingling unknowingly with Raphael himself and some of his contemporaries. In the Sistine Chapel, below the largest and most renowned fresco in the world, your tour guide will explain the intriguing history of how this work came to be and the hidden messages Michelangelo painted into it. After the museum, you’ll visit St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world, where you can visit the tombs of the Popes, including that of John Paul II. You will also see Michelangelo's magnificent Pietà and Bernini's acclaimed baldachino, or altarpiece.
Tour the Roman Hill Towns
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for an excursion to the Roman hill town Tivoli, where you will visit two splendid villas of different periods: the ancient Roman villa of the Emperor Hadrian and the Renaissance Villa d’Este. Hadrian's Villa, the largest of its kind in Roman times, testifies to the remarkable skills of Roman architects and builders, while the Villa d’Este, commissioned in 1550 by Cardinal Ippolito II D’Este, is famous for its masterpieces of Renaissance art and, in particular, for its many pools and fountains. Lunch will taken be at the extraordinary La Sibilla restaurant (not included.)
Take Part in a Culinary Adventure OR
Enjoy a Walking Food and Wine Tour in Trendy Trastevere
The culinary experience includes shopping, immersing yourself in the art and pleasure of hands-on cooking techniques and learning something about Italian culture. You'll experience the shopping component as you explore local markets and visit a variety of different stores with your personal chef, deciding on the menu along the way. Stops may include an artisan butchery, fish market, cheese store, bakery, and fruit and vegetable market. You'll then head to a select kitchen, where you will prepare various dishes. This interactive cooking class is perfect for people who enjoy Italian cuisine, and want to learn more, as well as for those who are experienced in the kitchen. The program is tailor-made to suit your individual tastes, including Italian favorites you would like to add to your repertoire, or unique new menus.
For those who are less interested in culinary arts, the Walking food and wine tour is for you! You'll meet Marco, our master sommelier and embark on a multi-sensory experience as you shop-hop trendy Trastevere's wineries, butcheries and cheese shops sampling a variety of Roman dishes and pairing them with the perfect glass of wine.
See Works of the Masters and Enjoy a Farewell Dinner
Your tour guide will pick you up at your hotel for a delightful day exploring Renaissance and Baroque Rome, including the paintings, sculptures, and architecture of Michelangelo, Raphael, and Caravaggio. Following lunch, you will have the chance to compare the works of Baroque rivals Bernini and Borromini.
Your driver will pick you up in plenty of time to make your flight. Rome salutes you with a warm and heartfelt “arrivederci"! See you again! Now that you’ve traveled with Your Own Italy, you have friends here in Rome.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches, as storage accommodations are not often available.
- This tour is not fully accessible to wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will arrange alternative routes suitable for you.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
The team at Your Own Italy is absolutely flexible and will customize your vacation to suit your personal tastes and needs. Are you traveling with children? Are you disabled? We will provide all the assistance necessary to adjust our packages to ensure that your vacation is truly memorable!
- When should we start planning our trip?
- Ideally, we ask for at least 3 months' advance notice, especially in the high season (May to September). Arrangements can be made on shorter notice, but you run the risk of missing out on the availability of our favorite hotels and guides. We want the best for our clients, and the more time we have, the more we can guarantee just that.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- For our customized vacations, we require a 20% deposit upon approval of the itinerary we have presented to you. The balance is due 30 days prior to your arrival date.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Upon submitting your reservation through our website, you will be provided with a voucher with a reservation number that will be used for payment by credit card on the online portal of Blue Pay, our credit card processor.
- Should I purchase travel insurance?
- We strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance at the time of booking, in the event you must cancel and forfeit funds or in the unfortunate case of injury or loss. We also recommend checking with your credit card company, which may offer travel coverage.
- What kind of information will we receive before our trip?
- Approximately one month prior to your departure date, you will receive a Your Own Italy travel packet consisting of a detailed day-to-day itinerary, our list of recommended restaurants, a “Helpful Hints Guide” for Italy, and your specific destinations, plus detailed information and contacts for your accommodations, tours, excursions, and transportation.
- Can you give me a cost breakdown of my customized vacation and what is included?
- The vacations we create are bundled packages and therefore we do not provide a cost breakdown. Our local suppliers often give us a bundled price for the services provided and so we do the same for our clients. We arrange for all your accommodations, transportation, local tour guides, restaurant reservations, and any other fun activities and experiences from the moment you arrive until the day of your departure.
Your Own Italy boasts a flexible cancellation policy. Full refunds are made whenever possible and the cost of tickets to museums is always refunded when they are unexpectedly closed. See the details of our Cancellation Policy here.