Experience the glory of ancient Rome, the treasures of the Baroque, and everything in between! You will enjoy private after-hours tours of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, saunter in the footsteps of gladiators, visit hill towns of the Roman countryside, mingle with locals in Rome’s famous piazzas, and dine "as the Romans do" at restaurants that are guaranteed to tickle your taste buds. Everything is customized, with private car and guide, from arrival to departure. This is your Roman holiday, from Your Own Italy.
Highlights and What’s Included
- Private driver and English-speaking tour guide throughout
- 7 nights’ accommodation in your choice of hotel/apartment in Rome, with daily buffet breakfast
- "Dolce Vita" Tour on the evening of arrival
- Tour of the Roman Forum and Colosseum
- Tour of Renaissance and Baroque Rome
- Private tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Culinary Experience Day with professional chef
- Day excursion to the Roman hill towns
- Your choice of day-long excursion or walking tour for "Design Your Italy" day
Welcome to Rome! Dolce Vita Tour
Your driver, waiting for you at Rome’s Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, will escort you by private car to your boutique hotel in Rome. After relaxing and enjoying your welcome package, you will be picked up by your driver, who will accompany you on your “Dolce Vita" Tour. Savor an aperitivo on one of Rome’s panoramic restaurant terraces followed by dinner in a charming trattoria. Your driver will then escort you on a Rome-by-night tour, culminating at the Trevi Fountain, where Anita Ekberg and Marcello Mastroianni frolicked in the moonlight in Fellini's classic film, “La Dolce Vita.” After a stroll and a gelato, you will be accompanied to your hotel for a good night's sleep.
Walk in the Footsteps of the Ancient Romans
Your private driver and guide will pick you up at your hotel for a day in ancient Rome. Begin in the astonishingly intact Colosseum and head through the slaves' entrance towards the arena's underground labyrinth, where gladiators, wild beasts, and Christians awaiting their death were held until their moment of glory or agony. Continue on to the ancient Roman Forum - actually a variety of fora designed and built, seemingly one on top of another, by successive emperors to erase the memories of their predecessors. After lunch, your guide will take you on an unforgettable journey into the past, beginning at the Church of San Clemente, where you will peel away 2,000 years of history layer by layer, from spectacular medieval mosaics and frescoes down to the ruins of houses, shops, roads, and a pagan temple predating the Empire. Your next stop will be the Appian Way, Rome's first super highway, built in 312 BC to connect the capital to the southeastern-most tip of Italy, yet still used by Romans today. Along the roadway are picturesque ruins, such as the majestic tomb of Santa Cecilia, built by a famous Roman general for his deceased young daughter.
Design Your Own Italy Day
Contact us for customizing options on this "Design Your Own Italy" day OR just relax and enjoy shopping!
Explore St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for this signature Your Own Italy tour, “Of Popes and Princes.” You will cross the “Angel Bridge” to discover Castel Sant'Angelo, Emperor Hadrian's mausoleum, later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and now a museum. From there, continue along the Via della Conciliazione to view the marvels of the majestic Basilica of St. Peter’s. Our one-of-a-kind private tour of the Vatican Museums will take you through over 2,000 years of history, art, spirituality, and unsurpassed beauty in the heart of the Holy See. The tour, led by an expert in the field, offers a unique view into one of the most extensive art collections in the world, with masterpieces by Michelangelo, Raphael, Perugino, and Ghirlandaio, and will culminate in the magnificent Sistine Chapel, the private chapel of the Pope, decorated with frescoes by Michelangelo. This tour can take place in the evening, if you prefer - a truly enchanting after-hours experience open only to private groups.
Tour the Roman Hill Towns
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for an excursion to the Roman hill town Tivoli, where you will visit two splendid villas of different periods: the ancient Roman villa of the Emperor Hadrian and the Renaissance Villa d’Este. Hadrian's Villa, the largest of its kind in Roman times, testifies to the remarkable skills of Roman architects and builders, while the Villa d’Este, commissioned in 1550 by Cardinal Ippolito II D’Este, is famous for its masterpieces of Renaissance art and, in particular, for its many pools and fountains. Lunch will taken be at the extraordinary La Sibilla restaurant.
Take Part in a Culinary Adventure
Your private chef will take you on a tour of Rome's fresh food markets to choose ingredients for a long, leisurely Italian lunch, including your choice of wine. Alternatively, your driver will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the nearby hill town of Frascati for a day-long cooking class followed by a home-cooked meal. Your driver will accompany you back to your hotel.
See Works of the Masters and Enjoy a Farewell Dinner
Your tour guide will pick you up at your hotel for a delightful day exploring Renaissance and Baroque Rome, including the paintings, sculptures, and architecture of Michelangelo, Raphael, and Caravaggio. Following lunch, you will have the chance to compare the works of Baroque rivals Bernini and Borromini.
Your driver will pick you up in plenty of time to make your flight. Rome salutes you with a warm and heartfelt “arrivederci"! See you again! Now that you’ve traveled with Your Own Italy, you have friends here in Rome.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches, as storage accommodations are not often available.
- This tour is not fully accessible to wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will arrange alternative routes suitable for you.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
The team at Your Own Italy is absolutely flexible and will customize your vacation to suit your personal tastes and needs. Are you traveling with children? Are you disabled? We will provide all the assistance necessary to adjust our packages to ensure that your vacation is truly memorable!
- When should we start planning our trip?
- Ideally, we ask for at least 3 months' advance notice, especially in the high season (May to September). Arrangements can be made on shorter notice, but you run the risk of missing out on the availability of our favorite hotels and guides. We want the best for our clients, and the more time we have, the more we can guarantee just that.
- What are YOI's payment terms?
- For our customized vacations, we require a 20% deposit upon approval of the itinerary we have presented to you. The balance is due 30 days prior to your arrival date.
- What happens after I've made a reservation through your website?
- Upon submitting your reservation through our website, you will be provided with a voucher with a reservation number that will be used for payment by credit card on the online portal of Blue Pay, our credit card processor.
- Should I purchase travel insurance?
- We strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance at the time of booking, in the event you must cancel and forfeit funds or in the unfortunate case of injury or loss. We also recommend checking with your credit card company, which may offer travel coverage.
- What kind of information will we receive before our trip?
- Approximately one month prior to your departure date, you will receive a Your Own Italy travel packet consisting of a detailed day-to-day itinerary, our list of recommended restaurants, a “Helpful Hints Guide” for Italy, and your specific destinations, plus detailed information and contacts for your accommodations, tours, excursions, and transportation.
- Can you give me a cost breakdown of my customized vacation and what is included?
- The vacations we create are bundled packages and therefore we do not provide a cost breakdown. Our local suppliers often give us a bundled price for the services provided and so we do the same for our clients. We arrange for all your accommodations, transportation, local tour guides, restaurant reservations, and any other fun activities and experiences from the moment you arrive until the day of your departure.
Your Own Italy boasts a flexible cancellation policy. Full refunds are made whenever possible and the cost of tickets to museums is always refunded when they are unexpectedly closed. See the details of our Cancellation Policy here.