Your driver will pick you up at your hotel and accompany you to Frascati, one of the Castelli Romani, or Roman hill towns, which lying near the ancient town of Tusculum, which probably predated Rome itself. Its natural beauty, ancient ruins, and imposing baroque villas have smitten many a visitor, including Goethe, George Sand, and John Singer Sargent. A leafy spot dotted with lakes and hills, offering fresh, clean air and vineyards that produce wine that was Italy's first to receive the DOC appellation, it is nevertheless just a short ride from the capital. The American term "bedroom community" does not do it justice, but the fact is that for the past two millenia it has been close enough to Rome to attract those who need to be near the city, yet far enough away to attract those who would rather wake up to the song of birds than the roar of "motorini." This day-long culinary experience involves no exotic sourcing, commercial kitchens, or cooking techniques that cannot be performed in your own home. Our chef, Jo Wennerholm, will show you how to cook what Italians cook: simple dishes with local food. You will accompany Jo to farmers' markets, family-run food shops, and perhaps even a wine estate, such as the one next door to her home. Each experience is custom designed to your tastes and budget, as well as the season and availability of ingredients; she can help kick-start a honeymoon couple's life together in the kitchen or share information with a gourmet chef. You will have a delightful day in a beautiful area off the main tourist track yet without a long detour into the distant hills of Umbria or Emilia-Romagna, and will take home recipes that will never let you down - truly a gift to yourself that will keep on giving!
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Professional chef for the entirety of the excursion
- All ingredients for the cooking class, as well as wine
- A tour of Frascati’s food markets and specialty stores
- This is a private tour - your party only
- This excursion lasts 8 hours from pick-up to drop-off time.
- Please note that the journey time between Rome and Frascati is approximately one hour.
- Please let us know in advance if you have any food allergies or intolerances.
- Before your tour, you will be provided with a choice of menus based on the season.
- This cooking class can accommodate up to 6 people.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra" depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.