Ancient Rome, like contemporary New York City, was a sprawling area of diverse people trying to live and do business together. They were Greek, North African, Sicilian . . . and Jewish, many of whom went to Rome to work but ended up settling among their compatriots, building homes, raising families, and becoming vital parts of the Roman community for centuries. Your tour of Jewish Rome begins on the Janiculum Hill, which offers a breathtaking panorama of the entire city, and where you’ll see the lovely waters of the Fontana dell’Acqua Paola, one of the most remarkable fountains of 17th century Rome. The path leads down the hill to Trastevere, a vibrant neighborhood of historical workshops, functioning bakeries, and charming inns that was for centuries the heart of Jewish Rome. You will continue across the Ponte Sisto, built in the Renaissance, to reach the former Jewish Ghetto, a beautiful neighborhood that has remained almost untouched over the centuries; it even hosts its own Imperial ruin. The Synagogue, built in 1904 and a centerpiece of the area, is a magnificent structure with impressive windows and decorations. The Jews of Rome comprised a very different type of Jewish community: not Eastern European, not Middle Eastern, but Italian
- This is a private tour for your group only.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Guide will meet you at your accommodations
- Transportation to the site is provided
- Tour of the Ghetto and Synagogue
- The Janiculum Hill
- Tour of Trastevere
- Ponte Sisto
- This tour requires a fair amount of walking, which can be reduced with taxis at your option (fare is not included in tour price). Please wear comfortable shoes.
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is not as customary in Italy as in the United States and is not always expected. However, it is always a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra," depending on the level of service you receive.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- If you would prefer to customize your tour to eliminate some sites, please feel free to contact us to discuss options.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.