Your guide will pick you up at your accommodations and accompany you on a lively tour of Jewish Rome. Ancient Rome, like contemporary New York City, was a sprawling area of diverse people trying to live and do business together. They were Greek, North African, Sicilian . . . and Jewish, many of whom went to Rome to work but ended up settling among their compatriots, building homes, raising families, and becoming vital parts of the Roman community for centuries. Jews have lived in Rome more or less continuously for over two millennia, making Rome’s Jewish community among the oldest in the world. From the Janiculum Hill, in front of the marvelous Fontana dell’ Acqua Paola, you will have a view of what were once the Jewish neighborhoods of the city. During your walk down the hill and through Trastevere, your guide will describe life 2,000 years ago, when the streets were lively with Jewish businesses and traders. Heading across Ponte Sisto towards the ornate 1904 synagogue you will enter a later period of Jewish habitation and hear about the triumphs and tragedies associated with it.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Private Tour of the Jewish Ghetto, Trastevere and the Janiculum Hill
- This is a private tour - your party only
- The tour does not include entering the Jewish Temple where tours are offered exclusively by internal staff. Let us know if you are interested and we will make the arrangements !
- Please wear comfortable shoes as this tour requires a fair amount of walking. If you would prefer to enjoy this tour on a golf cart let us know!
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra" depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.