The well-preserved ruins of ancient Ostia, including intact mosaics and an amphitheater that is still in use, offer much of what those of Pompeii offer, in a more accessible form to those based in Rome. Founded in the 4th century BC and abandoned around AD 900, Ostia, thanks to its location as a port close to the capital, was once an important Roman city, inhabited by over 100,000 people. Its main street, the Decumanus Maximus, with its ancient houses, taverns, baths, groceries, and apartments, many of which contain very well-preserved interior decorations, provides excellent insights into the life and work of ordinary people of 2,000 years ago. As a commercial port, Ostia was home to a diverse population; among the ruins to be seen are a pagan temple, a synagogue, a Mithraeum, and a Christian church.
- This a private tour, for your group only
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Lunch in a nearby trattoria (not included)
- Main sites of Ostia, including the Decumanus Maximus (main street), Baths of Neptune, Taberna of Fortunatus, Roman theater (still used today for summer theatrical productions), and Thermopolium of Diana (a neighborhood eatery and take-out of the ancients)
- This tour lasts 8 hours from pick-up to drop-off time.
- Please note that the journey time between Rome and Ostia Antica is approximately one hour.
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is not as customary in Italy as in the United States and is not always expected. However, it is always a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra," depending on the level of service you receive.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- If you would prefer to customize your tour to eliminate some sites, please feel free to contact us to discuss options.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.