The medieval Basilica of San Clemente, a Catholic church dedicated to Pope Clement I, is built atop a Romanesque church, which was built atop numerous ancient edifices, including a temple to the god Mithras. On this tour, the past becomes tangible as you walk backwards in time while descending underground layer by historical layer! The ancient Roman houses on the Celian Hill, which have recently been restored and re-opened to the public, offer a glimpse into what life was like 2,000 years ago in one Rome’s wealthier neighborhoods. They contain archeological finds as well as wall frescoes and decorations from five separate houses. It is a 2nd century AD Roman apartment building that stands five floors high at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in Rome. The Insula of Ara Coeli is a rare example of a rented house from the Imperial era.
- This is a private tour for your party only
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Your local guide will travel with your private group to the site
- Only one-way transportation to the tour sites is provided
- Tour of San Clemente
- Tour of the Insula of Ara Coeli
- Modest attire is required in churches and basilicas; knees and shoulders must be covered
- Large bags and umbrellas may not be allowed, and, if permitted, retrieving checked items could affect your ability to cover the entire suggested itinerary.
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking and a significant amount of stairs.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is not as customary in Italy as in the United States and is not always expected. However, it is always a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra," depending on the level of service you receive.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- If you would prefer to customize your tour to eliminate some sites, please feel free to contact us to discuss options.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.