Your guide will pick you up at your accommodations for a delightful tour to discover the Eternal City in the footsteps of Michelangelo the painter, the sculptor, and the architect. Your guide will explain the history and context of his art as well as anecdotes about his life. The tour begins at Porta Pia, a gate to Rome that was one of the genius's last works. The second destination, the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, is a masterful architectural reorganization of an ancient bathhouse into a church. A walk down some cobblestone streets leads to the church of San Pietro in Vincoli, known as St. Peter’s in Chains, which houses the shrine of Giulio II and Michelangelo’s awe-inspiring sculpture of Moses. In Rome's historic center is the Piazza del Campidoglio, on the ancient Capitoline hill, with a unique perspective designed by the artist. The charming Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva, one of the few gothic churches in Rome, is the site of a wonderful early Michelangelo sculpture, the Cristo della Minerva, or Risen Christ. The tour ends with a visit to Piazza Farnese, a piazza dominated by the impressive Farnese Palace, designed, in part, by Michelangelo.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Private tour of Michelangelo's works including the Palazzo Farnese, the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli Church, the Moses sculpture in San Pietro in Vincoli Church and the Christ sculpture in Santa Maria Sopra Minerva Church
- This is a private tour - your party only
- Modest attire is required in churches and basilicas; knees and shoulders must be covered.
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking. If you would prefer to enjoy this tour on a golf cart let us know!
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra" depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.