Your guide will pick you up at your hotel and will take you on a truly fascinating tour where you'll find out how a great empire falls and then reemerges in a different form of the "dark ages": the period between the demise of the Roman Empire and the beginning of the Italian Renaissance. The church of San Clemente is a twelfth century church built on the remains of a fifth century church built on the remains of a Mithraic temple and other Roman structures (perhaps the Roman mint that is reputed to have been located in this area). The layers of buildings are amazingly intact and contain wonderful art and artifacts, including a stone altar to Mithra, vivid apse mosaics, and one of the oldest instances of Italian writing in the world. From there, you will visit the church of SS. Quattro Coronati, regarded by many as the most beautiful medieval structure in Rome, but rarely viewed by tourists. Built in the eleventh century, it houses spectacular art treasures, including a chapel with original frescoes of Saint Sylvester. Finally, on the Celian hill, is the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, built on the ruins of third century houses that provide insight on how the middle class lived in the late imperial era, and show how these ancient sites were transformed during the Middle Ages.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- One-way transportation to the site will be provided
- Private tour of the Basilica of San Clemente, the Church of Santi Quattro Coronari and the Church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo
- Entrance tickets where necessary
- This is a private tour - your party only
- Sunday morning tours will not include San Clemente Basilica; your guide will offer alternate options.
- Modest attire is required in churches and basilicas; knees and shoulders must be covered.
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra" depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.