Cannaregio is the northernmost "sestiere," or neighborhood, of Venice. A pleasant, relatively tranquil part of the city that is off the main tourist track, it nevertheless hosts imposing palaces, important churches, and enchanting canals and bridges. In it lived such famous Venetians as Tintoretto and Titian; it is a picturesque area and enjoys sweeping vistas of the northern lagoon; it played a vital role in the history and economy of the city of which it is part. But perhaps most important to English-speaking visitors, it was home to one of Shakespeare's most unforgettable creations, Shylock, the merchant of Venice. A small city within a city, the Ghetto survived for centuries, and its name was borrowed by English to refer to similar neighborhoods. On this tour you will learn about the non-fictional Jews who lived in the original Ghetto and the varied roles they played in the history of the city.
- This is a private tour, for your group only
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees to synagogues with guided tour
- Views of the northern lagoon, Madonna dell'Orto Church, Scuola della Misericordia, Palace of the Camel
- Please wear comfortable shoes as this tour requires a fair amount of walking.
- Modest attire is required in the synagogues; knees and shoulders must be covered.
- This tour is not fully accessible to wheelchair users or others with limited mobility. However, please contact us directly and we will devise alternative routes for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is not as customary in Italy as in the United States and is not always expected. However, it is always a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave "a little something extra," depending on the level of service you receive.
- What happens after I've requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- If you would prefer to customize your tour to eliminate some sites, please feel free to contact us to discuss options.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the Security Management Company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.