San Gimignano and the Chianti Region
THE TOWN OF TOWERS AND LUNCH WITH WINE TASTING IN CHIANTI
The medieval gem of San Gimignano, known as “the city of beautiful towers,” is your first stop on this enchanting tour of Tuscany. In its heyday, the town boasted 72 towers. Although only 14 remain, they create a medieval dreamscape today, rising above the Elsa Valley. The stunning architecture of the Piazza della Cisterna, Piazza del Duomo Collegiata, and Romanesque cathedral lead to the wonderful Via Francigena, the ancient pilgrimage road that connected Canterbury to Rome. You will have plenty of time to browse locally-made handicrafts, including the beautiful Santa Fina pottery, and shop for the regional spice specialty, saffron. From there you’ll proceed to the Chianti wine region, bordered on the east by the Chianti mountains and to the west by the Elsa river, and lying between Florence and Siena. This area boasts picturesque villages, delightful vistas of vineyards and cypresses spread across rolling hills, and an unhurried pace of life. At the celebrated Machiavelli winery you will enjoy a tour of the vineyard, a sampling of several different types of local wine, and a sumptuous lunch in the family villa. You will return to your cruise ship at Livorno with pleasant memories to share with your fellow cruise passengers and, perhaps, several bottles of the region’s splendid wine.
Highlights and What's Included
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Visit to San Gimignano (no guide)
- Tour of the Villa Machiavelli Winery, including lunch and a sampling of wine
- This is a private tour
- Please specify in your booking the name and port of call of your cruise ship
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Please wear comfortable footwear, as this tour involves a lot of walking.
This Chianti shore excursion from the Port of Livorno departs and returns to your cruise ship
DURATION OF TOUR
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the round trip journey between the Port of Livorno and the tour’s highlights is 1hour each way.
- What happens after I’ve made a reservation through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of the booking. Your credit card will not be charged until the confirmation is received.
- Where will I meet my guide?
- Your guide will be waiting for you in the designated meeting area as you exit your ship. They will be holding a sign with the name you provided at the booking.
- And if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine! In the case of rough waters, an alternative mode of transportation will be provided.
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes! There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Can wheelchair users go on an excursion tour?
- Not all excursions tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- How far in advance should I book my excursion tour?
- Booking must be made at least 48 hours prior to the excursion tour date.
- What are YOI’s payment terms?
- Payment is required upon booking but your credit card will not be charged until you receive an email confirmation from Your Own Italy.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the excursion tour departure time. The cost of museum tickets are always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. A full refund is given if the docking of the cruise is cancelled due to weather conditions.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Reservations can be amended by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Own Italy cannot guarantee that changes are possible once the booking has been confirmed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our Internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the security management company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I need to reserve for a larger group than the size you advertise on the website?
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the type of service you require or break down your reservation into more than one. (For example, if you want to book 16 people, make two reservations of eight.)
Your Own Italy boasts a flexible cancellation policy. Full refunds are given when cancellations are made up to 24 hours of the tour departure time and whenever possible afterwards. The cost of museum tickets is always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. See the details of our Cancellation Policy here.
Please specify when booking whether you would prefer to meet your private guide at your accommodations or at a designated point near the highlights of the tour.
Starting from $230.00 per person. Prices vary with size of group.
- This is a private tour
- Group size availability: 1-8 people
- TYPE OF VEHICLE:
CAR: Up to 2 participants
VAN: 3-8 participants
- For larger groups, contact us to arrange a suitable vehicle
- Booking needs to made 48 hours prior to excursion
- BOOKING INCLUDES:
Transportation, Driver, Private Licensed Guide for the entire Tour and all Tickets.