Baroque Rome and The Vatican
DISCOVER THE ART AND ARCHITECTURE OF THE BAROQUE
This tour will take you to all the must-see sights of Rome from the Baroque period. The Baroque period was a time when, thanks to political consolidation, wealth from the New World and pressure from the Protestant north, western art and architecture was dominated by the city of the Popes. You will begin in the heart of Rome at the delightful Piazza Navona, with its famous Fountain of the Four Rivers by Bernini. You will take a quick step backwards in time at the Pantheon, an ancient temple with an intact dome in the heart of Rome. Then to the late medieval church of St. Mary of Minerva with the statute of a charming little elephant balancing an Egyptian obelisk on its back. Then back to the Baroque and the works of Caravaggio at the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, followed by a visit to the famous Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. After lunch at a selected restaurant, you will tour The Vatican Museum, which boasts some of the most recognizable art in the world. You will see masterpieces by Michelangelo, Raphael, and da Vinci, as well as some tantalizing history and mysteries. At the Sistine Chapel, the largest and most renowned fresco in the world, you will learn the intriguing history of how this work of art came to be, plus the secrets and hidden messages Michelangelo painted into it. The day will end at the magnificent St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world. Visit the tombs of the Popes, including that of Pope John Paul II, and see Michelangelo’s magnificent Pietà and Bernini’s acclaimed Baldachino (Pope’s altar).
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking local guide
- Lunch at selected trattoria (not included)
- Private tour of the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, San Luigi dei Francesi and the works of Caravaggio, Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Square and the Basilica of St Peter’s
- Skip-the-line tickets for The Vatican Museums
- This is a private tour
- Please specify when booking the name and port of call of your cruise ship
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Backpacks are not allowed inside St. Peter’s Basilica or the Vatican Museum.
- Please wear comfortable footwear as this tour involves a lot of walking.
- Photos and video are permitted everywhere except in the Sistine Chapel.
This Civitavecchia shore excursion to Rome departs from and returns to your cruise ship.
DURATION OF TOUR:
This tour lasts 10 hours from pick up to drop off time. Please note that the journey time between the port of Civitavecchia. Rome is approximately 1.5 hours each way.
- What happens after I’ve made a reservation through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of the booking. Your credit card will not be charged until the confirmation is received.
- Where will I meet my guide?
- Your guide will be waiting for you in the designated meeting area as you exit your ship. They will be holding a sign with the name you provided at the booking.
- And if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine! In the case of rough waters, an alternative mode of transportation will be provided.
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes! There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts and sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Can wheelchair users go on an excursion tour?
- Not all excursions tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- How far in advance should I book my excursion tour?
- Booking must be made at least 48 hours prior to the excursion tour date.
- What are YOI’s payment terms?
- Payment is required upon booking but your credit card will not be charged until you receive an email confirmation from Your Own Italy.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations must be made within 24 hours of the excursion tour departure time. The cost of museum tickets are always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. A full refund is given if the docking of the cruise is cancelled due to weather conditions.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Reservations can be amended by sending an email to email@example.com. Your Own Italy cannot guarantee that changes are possible once the booking has been confirmed.
- Is your site secure?
- Our Internet site uses the SSL encryption protocol to guarantee secure transactions and complete confidentiality. We use a security certificate issued by the security management company, Control Scan.
- What should I do if I need to reserve for a larger group than the size you advertise on the website?
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the type of service you require or break down your reservation into more than one. (For example, if you want to book 16 people, make two reservations of eight.)
Your Own Italy boasts a flexible cancellation policy. Full refunds are given when cancellations are made up to 24 hours of the tour departure time and whenever possible afterwards. The cost of museum tickets is always refunded when museums are unexpectedly closed. See the details of our Cancellation Policy here.
Please specify when booking whether you would prefer to meet your private guide at your accommodations or at a designated point near the highlights of the tour.
Starting from $230.00 per person. Prices vary with size of group.
- This is a private tour
- Group size availability: 1-8 people
- TYPE OF VEHICLE:
CAR: Up to 2 participants
VAN: 3-8 participants
- For larger groups, contact us to arrange a suitable vehicle
- Booking needs to made 48 hours prior to excursion
- BOOKING INCLUDES:
Transportation, Driver, Private Licensed Guide for the entire Tour and all Tickets.