Florence Walking Tours: Day Excursions
Excursion to Siena and San Gimignano
Your private driver will pick you up at your accommodations and accompany you on a delightful day trip in the heart of Tuscany. You’ll meet your guide upon arrival in Siena and visit the Cathedral, completed in 1263 and among the most exquisite in Tuscany, flaunting a bold, ornate Romanesque style and housing an incredible inlaid marble mosaic floor crafted by more than 40 artists over a period of 200 years. On your way to the main square, Piazza del Campo, your guide will describe how Siena is made up of 17 “contrade” or neighborhoods which are represented by playful mascots, such as the snail. Twice yearly, in July and August, representatives from each contrada race on horseback in a competition known as the Palio di Siena that has origins in the medieval ages. You’ll admaire this fan-shaped square and its main building, the Palazzo Pubblico or town hall. After enjoying lunch at a selected restaurant, your driver will take you to San Gimignano, known as the “city of beautiful towers.” In its heyday, the town boasted 72 towers, of which 14 remain. Rising above Tuscany’s Elsa Valley, they give the town the appearance of a medieval dreamscape. You will view the stunning architecture of the Piazza della Cisterna, Piazza del Duomo Collegiata, and the town’s Romanesque Cathedral. There will be plenty of time to visit shops and purchase beautiful Santa Fina pottery and other handicrafts, as well as the local spice specialty, saffron.
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Private tour of Siena
- Entrance tickets
- Visit to San Gimignano (no guide)
- This is a private tour – your party only
- This tour lasts 8 hours from pick-up to drop-off time.
- Please note that the journey time between Florence and Siena is approximately one hour and 20 minutes.
- Modest attire is required in churches and basilicas; knees and shoulders must be covered.
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave “a little something extra” depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I’ve requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.
Duration Of Tour
Tour times are average – some groups prefer a more leisurely pace with fewer sites, with your private guide, this is your option.