Your guide will pick you up at your accommodations and accompany you on a walking tour of the main sites of this Renaissance city. The tour will begin at the Piazza della Repubblica with its Column of Abundance which marked the point where the Roman roads, the “cardus” and “decumanus maximi,” met. At the cathedral complex in the Piazza del Duomo is the magnificent Gothic cathedral designed by Arnolfo di Cambio and inaugurated in 1436 when its first-of-its-kind dome designed by Fillippo Brunelleschi was added. Also in the piazza is the cathedral baptistery used as the main church until the cathedral was completed. It is famous for its magnificent entrance doors designed in 1425 by Lorenzo Ghiberti and dubbed “the Gates of Paradise” by Michelangelo. The tour continues with a stroll across the famous Ponte Vecchio, a symbol of Florence. Last, but not least, you’ll enjoy a visit to the world-renowned Accademia Gallery to view Michelangelo’s famed sculpture of David.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking tour guide
- Private tour of the main sites of Florence and the Accademia Galleriy
- Skip-the-line tickets
- This is a private tour – your party only
- The Accademia Gallery is closed on Mondays
- Large bags and umbrellas are not allowed in the museum; retrieving checked items could affect your ability to cover the entire suggested itinerary.
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking.
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave “a little something extra” depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I’ve requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.
Duration Of Tour
Tour times are average – some groups prefer a more leisurely pace with fewer sites, with your private guide, this is your option.