Your guide will pick you up at your accommodations and accompany you to the Accademia Gallery where you will marvel at the original sculpture of Davide by Michelangelo as well as his sculptures of St. Matthew and the Prisoners. The tour will continue in the nearby Museum dell’ Opera which contains sculptures from the Florence Cathedral, among which is Michelangelo’s Florence Pieta’ with a bearded figure assumed to be a self-portrait. The Museum also boasts the original panels of Ghiberti’s Baptistry doors, as well as Donatello’s rare wooden sculpture of Mary Magdalene the Penitent, from 1453. On to the Bargello, a former barracks and prison, holding works by Donatello, including an early marble David; two panels entered by Lorenzo Ghiberti and Filippo Brunelleschi for the Baptistry door competition of 1401. The tour culminates at the outdoor museum of the Loggia dei Lanzi with the Rape of the Sabine Women, Hercules Beating the Centaur Nessus sculpted by Giambologna, and Perseus with the Head of Medusa by Cellini. The Menelaus Supporting the Body of Patroclus is a Roman sculpture as are, at the back of the Loggia, six marble female statues, probably from Trajan’s Forum in Rome.
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Private tour of the main sites featuring sculptures
- Skip-the-line tickets
- This is a private tour – your party only
- Some of the tour sites may be closed on Mondays
- Please wear comfortable shoes, as this tour requires a fair amount of walking
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with limited mobility. Please contact us directly and we will devise alternate routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave “a little something extra” depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I’ve requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.
Duration Of Tour
Tour times are average – some groups prefer a more leisurely pace with fewer sites, with your private guide, this is your option.