Your guide will pick you up at your hotel to enjoy Rome’s lovely morning atmosphere. The Campo dei Fiori was once a field of flowers but was paved in 1456 by papal order and became a site of public executions, including that of Giordano Bruno, the Italian philosopher burnt at the stake for heresy in 1600. Today it is a lively morning market and evening gathering place. Towards the river is the former Jewish ghetto with the breathtaking ruins of Octavia’s Porticus, a monumental marble embellished by columns and flanked by temples to Juno and Jupiter, constructed by Augustus Caesar in honor of his sister. Frescos still visible today were painted centuries later and evidence the area’s continuous use over the centuries. Trastevere, across the Tiber, had been home to hostile Etruscans but, once conquered, was occupied by local fishermen. Rome’s original Jewish synagogue and oldest church were located here, as was Julius Caesar’s luxurious garden villa.
- Expert, English-speaking guide and food expert
- One-way transportation to the site is provided
- Private tour including tasting at the Testaccio Market and local shops
- Cost of all food and beverages
- This is a private tour – your party only
- Please wear comfortable shoes as this tour requires a fair amount of walking
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative accessible routes.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave “a little something extra” depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I’ve requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.
Duration Of Tour
Tour times are average – some groups prefer a more leisurely pace with fewer sites, with your private guide, this is your option.