Before reaching Ravenna, your guide will show you Chioggia, an old fishing city with the canals and bridges of Venice but without its palaces and crowds. Moving back in time, you will tour Pomposa Abbey, an important Benedictine spiritual center near Ferrara begun in the late 800s in a simple Romanesque style; its lack of ornamentation and minimal later additions make it an excellent example of the transition from classical to medieval architecture. Finally, in the Neonian baptistery and St. Apollinare Nuovo Church in Ravenna you will confront the splendor of the Byzantine Empire of the fifth century, when Rome was on the wane but the Christian east still had the ability to stun, in this case with mosaic decorations that are so precious and unique that they are UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- English-speaking driver and private vehicle
- Expert, licensed English-speaking guide
- Private tour of the fishing village of Chioggia, the Pomposa Abbey, Ravenna’s city center and the Byzantine mosaics of the Neonian Baptistry and Church of St. Apollinare
- This is a private tour – your party only
- Modest attire is required in churches and basilicas; knees and shoulders must be covered.
- This tour lasts 10 hours from pick-up to drop-off time.
- Please note that the journey time between Venice and Ravenna is approximately 2.5 hours each way
- Please wear comfortable shoes as this tour requires a fair amount of walking.
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- Is there a dress code I should know about?
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered; shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is also recommended that you not take large bags or backpacks on tours that include churches as you may not be permitted to enter and storage accommodations are not usually available.
- What if there is bad weather?
- Our tours operate rain or shine!
- Is tipping customary in Italy?
- Tipping is indeed customary in Italy ! It is considered a kind gesture and proper etiquette to leave “a little something extra” depending on the level of service you receive. For a private guide it is suggested to leave 15 – 25 euros for a typical 3-hour tour.
- What happens after I’ve requested a booking through your website?
- Your Own Italy will send a confirmation email within 24 hours of your booking. You will then be invited to make your payment using a link that will be provided.
- Can wheelchair users go on this walking tour?
- Not all walking tours are fully accessible for wheelchair users or those with walking disabilities. However, if anyone in your group requires special accommodation, please let us know when completing the booking and we will work out suitable alternative routes.
- Can tours be modified?
- Yes, we will do our best to adjust any tour to accommodate special requests.
- How far in advance should I book my walking tour?
- Tours should be booked 48 hours in advance. While we cannot guarantee availability if booking occurs in less than 48 hours, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- Full payment is due when the tour confirmation email is sent, within 24 hours of your booking. You will be provided with a link to our payment page. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Tours must be canceled by email 24 hours prior to the start of the tour. If cancellation is made in less than this time, Your Own Italy cannot guarantee a full refund.
- How do I amend a reservation?
- Any changes to existing reservations must be requested by email. All efforts will be made to accommodate changes, but they cannot be guaranteed.
- What should I do if I have a larger group than the size suggested on the website?
- Your Own Italy is delighted to accommodate large groups. Please specify the number in your party when booking, and every effort will be made to organize a tour within the time limits provided.
Duration Of Tour
Tour times are average – some groups prefer a more leisurely pace with fewer sites, with your private guide, this is your option.