The Glory of Rome, the Gems of Amalfi
ROME AND SORRENTO
ROME – SORRENTO
If you don’t believe Italy runs the gamut of human endeavor, try this week-long adventure! It begins with the glory, pomp, and majesty of Rome, ancient, baroque, and modern; takes you through incredible Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius; and concludes on the Amalfi Coast with the tiny urban gems of Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello and a romantic boat tour of Capri. This is your Italian vacation of a lifetime, with custom touches and English-speaking guides every step, because this is Your Own Italy.
- Private driver transfers to and from airports and train stations
- Reserved business class seats on high-speed trains
- Accommodations: selected 4-star boutique hotels or apartment in historic centers of Rome – 4 nights and Sorrento – 4 nights
- English-speaking local tour guides throughout your vacation
- All skip-the line tickets
- Private Introductory Walking Tour of Rome
- Private tour of The Roman Forum and Coliseum
- Private tour of The Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
- Private Tour of Pompeii with Lunch and Wine tasting at wine producing Villa on Mt. Vesuvius
- Day Excursion to the towns of Positano, Amalfi and Ravello
- Private Cooking Class at the Villa Fattoria Terranova
- Private Day Excursion with guide to Capri including a 3-hour Private Boat Tour around the island
Day 1: Welcome to Rome! Introductory Dolce Vita Tour
Your driver, awaiting you at Rome’s Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, will escort you to your hotel in Rome. After relaxing, you will be picked up by your guide, who will accompany you on your “Dolce Vita” Tour. You’ll uncover the secrets locked in Bernini’s work, marvel at the Pantheon, the best preserved ancient Roman monument, toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the Eternal City, and simply enjoy Rome’s charming streets in a leisurely Italian fashion. By the end of the tour, you will realize that your guide has not only shown you around Rome, but has taught you how to get around almost like a native.
Day 2: Walk in the Footsteps of the Ancient Romans
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel and accompany you to the Coliseum, one of the ancient world’s largest structures, where Romans once gathered to watch gladiator games, animal contests, and even reenactments of sea battles. A massive stone amphitheater that seated an estimated 60,000 spectators, it was built in only eight years. Your guide will tell you about its design and construction, political purposes, fighters (both willing and unwilling), and eventual demise as an arena. At the Imperial Roman Forum, you will hear about the myths and religions of ancient Rome as you wander through the ruins of meeting halls and temples, such as that of the Vestal Virgins, who maintained Vesta’s sacred fire and were considered to be almost goddesses. The most ancient Latin text ever found, the Lapis Niger (“black stone”), can also be found in the Forum, in the foundation of a column. Your tour will end on the Capitoline Hill, the smallest and most important of the seven hills of ancient Rome, which offers a wonderful view of the city and the Forum.
Day 3: Tour The Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel for this signature Your Own Italy tour of The Vatican Museum and St. Peter’s Basilica. The art of The Vatican is among the most recognizable in the world. In leading you through the museums, your guide will convey the tantalizing background of these Renaissance masterpieces, the geniuses who created them, and the powers who commissioned them. In the Sistine Chapel, below the largest and most renowned fresco in the world, your tour guide will explain the intriguing history of this work and the hidden messages Michelangelo painted into it. After the museum, you’ll visit St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world, where you can see Michelangelo’s magnificent Pietà, Bernini’s acclaimed altar canopy, and the tombs of the Popes, including that of John Paul II.
Day 4: Explore ancient Pompeii and settle into Sorrento
Your private driver will pick you up at your hotel and take you to Rome’s train station for a high-speed train to Naples. A driver will pick you up – destination Pompeii for a private tour. With its intact streets and buildings, many two stories tall, Pompeii is a trip back through time and into the world of people who were not all that different from today’s. Whether enjoying an affluent citizen’s life in spacious, frescoed houses centered around airy courtyard, or struggling along as a working stiff, eating on the go at a “fast food” restaurant and bathing in public baths, Pompeii’s inhabitants lived their lives in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius, which will be your next stop for lunch and wine tasting at a family-owned winery.
Day 5: Let the Coast Awaken Your Spirit
Your experienced driver will handle the twists and turns of the winding roads of the Amalfi Peninsula while you sit back and enjoy the breathtaking views. In the tiny jewel of Positano, a small town that clings to a mountain rising from the sea, you will have the opportunity to take in the local style – white linen dresses, artisan sandals, jewelry – in charming courtyard markets, and the local refreshments – including true Italian lemon ice, or “granite al limone” made of fresh local lemons – at bars with terraces overlooking the sea. The colors are so bright and pure that you might have to pinch yourself to remember that this is real reality and not the virtual kind. From Positano you will be taken to Ravello, at the top of Mount Cerreto, where you will lunch at the most spectacular panoramic terrace you have ever seen, then stroll in the lovely gardens of Villa Ruffolo, home of the world-famous summer music festival. Wrap up the day in Amalfi, where you will visit the 11th century cathedral of Saint Andrew, the patron saint of the town.
Day 6: Cooking Class at the Fattoria Terranova
You’ll be picked up at your hotel and taken to the nearby farmhouse – Fattoria Terranova. Overlooking the bay of Naples and Salerno surrounded by lush vegetation, the farm is characterized by olive groves, vineyards and citrus groves. You’ll start with a visit to the gardens picking seasonal herbs and vegetables together. Supplied with hats and aprons, you will then prepare and enjoy an authentic meal composed of an appetizer, pasta dish, second course, dessert and wine produced by the farm. Your driver will take you back – fully satisfied – to your hotel in Sorrento.
Day 7: Dive into the Waters of Capri
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel and accompany you to the port of Sorrento where you will board the ferry to Capri. There your private boat and captain will be waiting to accompany you on a dream like day in the waters of Capri. Be prepared to dive in the pristine blue waters of the world-famous grottos that encircle the base of the famed island. Your captain will navigate to nearly private coves where the colors of the water dance amongst the many hues of the deep blue that characterizes this enchanting island. No need to bring towels or drinks, your captain will have them on board. You will also have snorkeling equipment to use while swimming. Upon docking, dry off and meet your guide will accompany you in a private vehicle up the hairpin, narrow road to Anacapri. On the way, sneak a few peaks
at the white washed villas masked by an abundance of colored flowers. A stroll at the top of the mountain to visit the famed Capri sandal makers as well as a breathtaking view from the enchanting villa San Michele perched on the furthest edge overlooking the bay. You can also choose to go up the funicular to see the views fro the very top of the island. After lunch your guide will accompany you on a walking tour of the town of Capri and its port.
Day 8: Return to Rome
After a relaxing breakfast, your driver will pick you up and accompany you to the train station in Naples for your high-speed train to Rome. You will be met at Rome’s station and accompanied you to your hotel in the historic center. That evening, you will enjoy a farewell dinner in the Eternal City.
Day 9: Departure – Arrivederci !
Your driver will pick you up with plenty of time to make your flight. Rome salutes you with a warm and heart-felt “arrivederci!” See you again! Now that you’ve travelled with Your Own Italy, you have friends here in Rome.
- There is a dress code for churches and basilicas. Shoulders and knees must be covered, shorts, miniskirts, and sleeveless shirts are not permitted. It is recommended that you not take large bags on tours that include churches as storage is not always available
- Please wear comfortable footwear as the tours on your vacation involve a lot of walking
- The team at Your Own Italy is absolutely flexible and will customize your vacation to suit your personal needs. Are you traveling with children? We will provide the necessary assistance to adjust our packages to ensure that your vacation is truly memorable!
- Contact Your Own Italy for customization options on your vacation
- Refer to our website for details on our Cancellation Policy
- When should we start planning our trip?
- Ideally, we ask for at least 3 months’ advance notice, especially in the high season (May through September). Arrangements can be made on shorter notice, but you run the risk of missing out on the availability of our favorite hotels and guides. We want the best for our clients, and the more time we have, the more we can guarantee just that.
- What are Your Own Italy’s payment terms?
- We require a 20% deposit upon approval of your vacation package. The balance is due 45 days prior to your date of travel.
- What happens after I’ve made a reservation through your website?
- Upon approval of your vacation package, an invoice with payment instructions will be sent by email. Payment method options include Paypal, any major credit card or a personal check.
- Should I purchase travel insurance?
- We strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance at the time of booking, in the event you must cancel and forfeit funds or in the unfortunate case of injury or loss. We offer travel insurance through out partner, Allianz.
- What kind of information will we receive before our trip?
- Approximately one month prior to your departure date, you will receive a Your Own Italy Travel Packet consisting of a detailed day-to-day itinerary, our list of recommended restaurants, a “Helpful Hints Guide” for Italy, and your specific destinations, plus detailed information and contacts for your accommodations, tours and transportation.
- Can you give me a cost breakdown of my customized vacation and what is included?
- The vacations we create are bundled packages and therefore we do not provide a cost breakdown. Our local suppliers give us bundled prices for the services provided and we do the same for our clients. We simply arrange for all your accommodations, transportation, local tour guides, restaurant reservations, and any other fun activities and experiences from the moment you arrive until the day of your departure. We also follow through your itinerary with you upon arrival to departure with 24/7 concierge service from Rome, Italy.
Please read our Vacation Package Cancellation Policy by clicking on the following link: Cancellation Policy here.
group size / price per person
2 – $5,250.00
3 – $5,000.00
4 – $4,750.00
5 – $4,500.00
6 – $4,250.00
7 – $3,950.00
8 – $3,700.00
To arrange your international flights at our preferred rates Airfare – Griisser Corporate International Specialist